Sometimes it can be hard to relate to biblical scripture - especially when society
seems to have changed. A typical example might be the description in Proverbs 31
of a ’Capable Wife’. How many wives now would (for example) make cloth from
wool and linen? Not mine, that’s for sure.|
Yet there is still much wisdom here and - with sometimes a little tongue in cheek that
I hope you’ll forgive - I have made a more modern interpretation.
First comes the ’original’ and then my ’interpretation’
. You could just
say this or even have two people reading it - one the original, one the interpretation.
10. How hard it is to find a capable wife!
She is worth far more than jewels!
How difficult it is to find the perfect wife!
Money is cold comfort if you do not have someone who truly loves and cares for you.
11. Her Husband puts his confidence in her, and he will never be poor.
He trusts and relies on her as his partner in life, and is all the richer for it.
12. As long as she lives, she does him good and never harm.
She cares for him, and only ever thinks of his welfare.
13. She keeps herself busy making cloth from wool and linen.
There’s always something to do, and she always does it.
14. She brings home food from out-of-the-way places, as merchant ships do.
She finds the chocolate he likes, and the potato chips that he likes, and the video’s that he likes, in the most remarkable, unexpected, places.
15. She gets up before daylight to prepare food for her family and to tell her servant woman what to do.
She tell’s him that “it’s time to get up” every morning, then gets on with the days work.
16. She looks at land and buys it, and with money she has earned she plants a vineyard.
She is mindful of life’s economies, and plans for the future.
17. She is a hard worker, strong and industrious.
She can perform miracles with a piece of string, a box of drawing pins, or the plastic lid from a drink bottle – all at a minutes notice.
18. She knows the value of everything she makes, and works late into the night.
She tells him “It’s time to go to bed” when he’d absently work on into the night – but then carries on herself, doing whatever she was doing.
19. She spins her own thread and weaves her own cloth.
She makes her own decisions, and accepts responsibility for them.
20. She is generous to the poor and needy.
She always takes more raffle tickets than she can sell, she always walks the extra mile for charity, and her heart breaks whenever a child cries out in hunger.
21. She doesn’t worry when it snows, because her family has warm clothing.
Heaters are for heating. Coats are for putting on. She’s told us often enough so there’s no excuse for catching cold!
22. She makes bedspreads and wears clothes of fine purple linen.
She is a farmer’s wife and a princess all rolled into one.
23. Her husband is well known, one of the leading citizens.
She has good taste in men.
24. She makes clothes and belts, and sells them to merchants.
She contributes to the family in any way she can, always honestly and without deceit.
25. She is strong and respected and not afraid of the future.
She stands up for what she believes, and is not afraid to face the future.
26. She speaks with a gentle wisdom.
She does not lose her temper, shout or throw things. (Well, not often anyway)
27. She is always busy and looks after her family’s needs.
Her number one priority is her family and she dedicates 24 hours a day to the job.
28. Her children show their appreciation, and her husband praises her.
She is loved very much.
29. He says, “Many women are good wives, but you are the best of them all.”
Hi Honey, I’m Home. What’s for dinner?
30. Charm is deceptive, and beauty disappears, but a woman who honours the Lord should be praised.
Some girls use sweet-talk to get their own way. Some are drop-dead gorgeous. But it doesn’t last.
The only thing that matters is a heart full of love and compassion – a heart full of the Spirit of the Lord.
31. Give her credit for all she does.
She deserves the respect of everyone.
As the song says, tell her about it, Let her know how much you care. Tell her she’s a marvel. Tell her she’s invaluable. Tell her she’s the perfect wife. We should all be glad to know her.